Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Talking to God

Martin Luther
Born
10 November 1483(1483-11-10)
Died
18 February 1546(1546-02-18) (aged 62)
Occupation
Monk, Priest, Theologian
Notable works
Influences
Influenced

Talking to God
Chapter 14


I grew up going to church, listening to preachers and giving my money “for God”. Now, my family was not extremely strict. We went on Sundays when I was little, but when I turned about 5 things changed and we stopped going to church. When I was a teenager I liked going to church with my friends. As I got older I started having my own beliefs. My beliefs are a lot like Martin Luther. I believe in God. I believe there is a heaven and hell. I also believe no matter how much or how little money you give to the church, that will not decide if you go to heaven or hell. I believe you will be evaluated, by your actions only, whether you will go to heaven.
But, I also have no belief in priests, popes, or who ever is up there talking. The person who is talking is only a man. He does not talk to God directly. He can not tell you what God wants or what he thinks. That person up there usually makes just as many mistakes, if not more. I believe that you are only answerable to God directly. You make decisions and choices and mistakes throughout your whole life and you have to discuss them with God directly through prayer. You know what is right and wrong, and if you do something wrong you make things right with God. You don’t need a church or a priest to tell you what to do or not to do. You don’t need to pay someone (the collection plate) to forgive you.
I also believe that all things can be forgiven, except killing and child abuse. Everyone makes mistakes and does wrong, but don’t tell me that if someone beats a child almost to death and now that child’s so messed up physically and/or mentally, that they can go to heaven if they apologize. Don’t tell me if you apologize for killing someone and try to change your ways that you can get into heaven. Because I believe there is no amount of apologies and sacrifices that make up for that and you are going to hell. No ifs, ands, or buts. So, I guess I would have to start my own religion, since I don’t fall within any of the religions we discussed.
By: Linelle

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, wrote a blog post from the readings on Chapter 14. I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but disagree on a few things toward the end. Martin Luther was responsible for the Protestant Reformation because of his ideas and beliefs. I've been in church since I was five and now I'm twenty-six and this has been the first year where I've truly had a personal experience of God's love and realized it was from Him. I believe that God's love is for everyone to experience directly, not through a priest or anyone else. If I may suggest, read "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. It's a great book and one of my favorites. It really makes you think. Your blog is very opinionated and detailed based upon your beliefs, thoughts, and perspective. Everyone has their own. I enjoyed reading your post and find it interesting. I like the design and layout of your blog. (Team 2-Elizabeth Combs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wrote about Chapter 14, but I focused on Shakespeare. I really liked reading your post and I agree with a lot of what you said. That each person is in direct control of his or her actions and that and their spiritual relation with God will get them to heaven, not money or going to church every Sunday. But you kind of focused more on you and your religious ideals than that of what was in the chapter and Martin Luther. Also, I know how you said no amount of forgiveness will get you to heaven for certain things a person does, but wasn't Martin Luthers point that your actions don't deny you nor get you into the golden gates? Maybe you could have compared his ideas to yours. But I really did enjoy it, it was an interesting post. (Team 1- Megan)

    ReplyDelete